Newsletter Signup

Monday, 12 November 2012

Don't Shoot Fall Jacket









My son needed a fall jacket badly this year.  After watching him run out the door and shiver for a few mornings it got started thinking.  After looking through my stash of fabric this is what I came up with.  It's bright and all boy and perfect for him.  The orange fleece was really easy to work with but hard to photograph.  It still looks a bit different in person, almost glows!  The striped lining fabric is a knit I picked up at a garage sale this summer.  I think the two fabrics go really well together and this jacket has become the one we all reach for if we have to run outside for something in a hurry.  It's been washed a few times and worn for almost 2 months and still looks great so I'm calling it a success.

Since I didn't use a pattern there are a few mistakes.  The most glaring and embarrassing one is the bottom band.  It somehow ended up wider at one edge than the other so the edges don't match up very well.  I took a picture of this and posted it because I want you to avoid my mistakes!!!  Measure carefully and be careful not to stretch your knit fabric.  This mistake is surprisingly not very noticeable when he is wearing the jacket.  I guess busy boys cover their Mom's sewing goofs well!!!



I used this tutorial  by Jessica of Me Sew Crazy for the construction of the jacket.  As in how I sewed the lining and the outer jacket together.  It seems confusing at first but just go slow and you will get it.  To create my pattern I simply traced a sweater of my son's that I knew fit him.  I wanted the jacket to be bigger so I added a seam allowance and 2 inches to the front, back and sleeves.  For the hood I did an internet search for 3 piece hood pattern because I didn't have enough fabric left for a 2 piece hood.  In the end I just traced around an existing hood and then drew a line where I wanted the middle piece to be.  When you create your middle piece don't forget to double the width, otherwise you will be sewing it down the middle which would create a 4 piece hood instead of a 3 piece hood.



All in all it was a fun project that I'm happy I attempted.  Especially since my son loves it and has since requested a shirt for gym and a pillowcase (posts coming soon for both).  I haven`t done much sewing for him so it`s been very nice to create things he really likes.



Hope you have and are having a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment