Newsletter Signup

Wednesday, 9 October 2013

Mad for Plaid - Finally finished sewing!!


Yes I finally finished sewing my Mad for Plaid look for Project Run and Play.  It's only a few weeks after the sew along closed.  No biggie :)


So the shirt is pretty cool huh?  It's a hybrid between Melly Sews V Neck Baseball Shirt (free pattern!!!!)  and  LouBee Clothing's Bimaa Shirt plus sleeves by Sidney.  I love the way it turned out and so does Sid.  I followed the V Neck Baseball Shirt pattern up until the neckline.  Then instead of binding the V Neck I cut out the Cowl Collar option of the Bimaa Shirt.  I just used size 6 without any mods because when I measured the neckline it seemed like it would fit perfectly and it did.  The bottom of the sleeves were self drafted and are really just a rectangle with holes for her thumbs.


The skirt is New Look 6433 View C.  I took off the fitted waistband and the back darts and added a yoga waistband.  This simple mod made it both more comfortable and age appropriate.  For the bottom hem I just sewed about the edge with a short stitch and we are letting it fray naturally.  Both Sidney and I love the informal fraying hem with the more formal style of the skirt.


So here is a closeup of the sleeves.  Sidney wanted them to come down over her hands and have thumb holes.  I added the second color on a whim and we are both thrilled with the look.  It took me a few days of mental thought here and there to figure out the best way to add the thumb holes and I am really please with what I came up with.  


Tree Hugger.


Star Gazer.


Kid goofing.


This one is on a really cool spinny thing at the park.  I love shots of my kids where they are not posed.


But the posed ones are pretty awesome too.


Zombie Child.


Sleeping in the park child.


Beautiful child.


And another star gazer shot.


Monkey.

We has do much fun taking pictures in the park.  I think Sid really got into this time because she felt very grown up in her new outfit.  The best compliment ever " Mom this doesn't look like something you made, it looks like you bought it".  I felt so happy when she said that because I feel this shirt is my first really successful knit.  No wavy or stretched seams and nothing seems wonky.  Hopefully it will stay that way after it's worn and washed.

All of the fabrics I used were purchased at my local thrift store or a garage sale so this outfit cost me about $4 total.  Yep you read that right $4 total.  A major score don't you think?

13 comments:

  1. Cool pattern mashup! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cool mash up!!! I LOVE the thumb holes! Thank you for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to look!!! I appreciate it so much more than you will ever know.

      Delete
  3. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I came over to check yours out and LOVED this look. My daughter would LOVE that top. The sleeves are awesome! Its great to find another tween seamstress! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you stopped by!!! I've been ogling your sewing for a few weeks now and Sidney has loved everything you sewed up for your daughter.

      Delete
    2. I guess I should proof read better before I hit publish. That should probably say -you've sewn not you sewed - oops!

      Delete
  4. Never too late!! Love the knit top especially the neckline and the thumb hole sleeves. that's one of the things I love about sewing for yourself, you can break all the rules and make things the way you want it!! The skirt is also fashionable yet age appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might be in heaven today!!! Two comments in one day is unheard of for me and I think you from the bottom of my heart!

      Delete
  5. Hi! :) stopping by to say hi. I was partying too at FromDreamTo Reality. Kisses from Home

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great look! And your daughter is beautiful in all of these shots! I really like the shirt mash up though. I like how you added the contrast to the thumb holes...seems like it would help with durability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for everything you said!!!! Wow I am smiling now :)

      Delete