Newsletter Signup

Friday, 1 November 2013

Day 2 - Denim Bow Cuff + Free Pattern


Firstly sorry for the not so stellar pictures :)  The Denim and Orange Plaid pictures were taken during daylight hours and turned out a lot better.  The others were after dark and I had the brilliant idea to "green screen" them with a piece of green Bristol board.  Lets just call it a fail and move on.  I promise I am trying to find my groove for tutorial pictures so please bear with me!!

Step 1 - Download your free pattern here.
Step 2 - Print the pattern and cut out the pieces.
Step 3 - Find some old clothes or fabric your want to cut up.  I used the jeans and shirt below for my first                   try.


Step 4 - Cut out your fabric.  You should have the pieces below plus two large bow pieces.  I added the                     large bow pieces afterwards so I don't have a picture of them.


Step 5 - Take your Main Cuff piece and fold it in half lengthwise with right sides together.  Sew along the long side. 


Step 6 - Turn right side out and center the seam along the back.  Press.  Top stitch along each long edge.


Step 7 - Put the Main Cuff aside for now and pick up your Knot piece.

Step 8 - Fold the long edges to the middle and press.


Step 9 - Top stitch near each edge and then fold your knot right sides together and sew.  It doesn't show in this picture but I also zig zag my edges to prevent fraying.  My machine was not being very nice to me and it took me a while to figure out that I still had my ballpoint needle in.  It wasn't even the tension causing those ugly stitches but the wrong needle!!!


Step 10 - Turn your Knot right side out and slip it onto your Main Cuff piece.  Then fold right sides together and sew across the short edge.  Then zig zag the raw edge and trim off the stray threads.  Turn right side out and set aside.


Step 11 -  The steps will be the same for both the small and the large bow.  Place right sides together and sew both of the long sides.  Turn right side out and press.


Step 12 - Decide which side you like the most.  That will the your "right side".  Fold your bow with "right sides" together.  Sew the short side and zig zag the raw edges.  


Step 13 - Turn right side out.


Step 14 - Slide your Bow into your Knot.


Step 15 - Repeat for Large Bow pieces.


Step 16 - Admire your new Denim Bow Cuff made from totally upcycled materials!


For the Orange Plaid Cuff I used a knot piece twice the size as the one on my pattern.  I cut the knot piece on the fold.  I decided afterwards that it was too big and didn't squeeze the bows nicely.  If your prefer that look then just double the size of the knot piece.  Also I found I like how it looks with the Bow pieces slipped in opposite ways.  This is totally up to you and is a matter of personal preference.


Again sorry for the bad pictures.  I am working hard to improve but I find the tutorial pictures are different from the pictures of my kids in their clothes.  Please don't hold it against me and keep coming to check out what is new :)


8 comments:

  1. These cuffs look great Tracy! I'm pinning them to try - always looking for more to make from old jeans!
    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill :) They are a quick sew too which is a bonus in my book!!

      Delete
  2. Just stopped by to let you know that I featured this on my round tuit post this week!
    Round Tuit 179
    Thanks again for linking up! Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow for real? I am on cloud 9 :) I really appreciate it Jill and thanks for hosting!!!

      Delete
  3. cute cuff - looking forward to seeing all your refashion posts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee :) I am working on it. I had hoped to have one a day but it's just too exhausting to fit that into daily life. The newest should be up tomorrow though because it's almost ready.

      Delete
  4. That's a really cute way to use up scrap fabric or upcycle old clothes!

    ReplyDelete