Newsletter Signup

Wednesday, 20 November 2013

New Tutorial and free pattern - Upcycled Neck Cozy


I guess I must have warm neck on my mind these days.   I mean let's face it, when the temp drops to -15 it's nice to be cozy!!


For this one I used a T-shirt for the backing and a warm and cozy lounge around the house sweater that I never wore for the outside.


I actually tweaked this pattern quite a few times to get the perfect fit and to fit it onto the paper with as little waste as I could manage.



This is my outer fabric.  I never wore this sweater even though I really like the pattern and coziness of it.  It just didn't fit me right and made me look way to grandma and not enough va va vooom!

Ready to get started?

Step 1 - Download and print your pattern.  You can download it here.
Step 2 - Choose something to use.  I used an old t-shirt and an old fleece sweater but you could certainly use new fabric.
Step 3 - Cut out your pattern pieces.  I designed this pattern so that you could cut off two sides of each sheet at the pink line.  Put your pieces together.  I included a pattern "map" as the last page to print to make it easier to fit everything together.
Step 4 -  Cut two Neck Pieces and two Shoulder Pieces from your lining fabric.


Step 5 - Sew the shoulders of the neck pieces where I marked in red on the picture.


Step 6 - Sew the sides of the neck piece where I marked in red on the picture.


Step 7 - Find the center front and center back of your neck piece.  I folded mine in half and used my handy dandy chalk to mark it.


Step 8 - Match up your Neck piece side seams with your Shoulder piece shoulder seams and pin.


Step 9 - Find the center front and center back of your Shoulder piece and match them up with the center front and center back of your neck piece and pin.    


Step 10 - Pin the rest of the way around.  Everything should match up fairly well but you can stretch slightly to make it fit perfectly.  Sew around the raw edge.  I used a 5/8 seam allowance on mine but I think you could pretty much use whatever seam allowance your are comfortable with.


Step 11 - Now you have this!  You could stop here if you didn't want to finish your edges or line your neck cozy.


Step 12 - Repeat Steps 1 through 11 for your outer fabric.  For mine I took advantage of the existing hem to make the top of my neck cozy look even better.  To do this I folded my pattern piece over by 5/8 to account for my hem and then cut.  This way I didn't have to fold the top over to hem it later on.



Step 13 - This is my finished outer piece.  You should have two identical neck cozies, one outer and one inner.


Step 14 - Put one piece face up on the table and put one face down on top of it.  You are putting right sides together.  Pin around the edges.  In the photo below I am showing you the same neck cozy from each side.  Don't forget to leave a 2 or 3 inch spot unsewn so that you can turn everything right side out when your are done.


Step 15 - I repeat, leave a space unsewn (I may or may not have forgotten to do this a time or two).  I remind myself to stop sewing by putting my pins in a different direction.


Step 16 - Turn your Neck Cozy right side out and line up the neck pieces.  It will look weird at first (sorry I forgot to take a pick of this step) but it works.  You just have to get your neck pieces going together properly.  The wrong sides will be together and the right sides facing out.  You can see on mine that my liner is sticking up.  This is because I left the original hem.


Step 17 - Fold your two neck pieces so that they are even at the top with the raw edges hidden inside and sew.




Step 18 - Find somewhere cold to wear your new Neck Cozy!!  

These next pictures are just to show how mine looks inside my jacket and also to get myself used to having my picture taken.  I am starting to get the hang of it and feel a tad more comfortable in front of the camera instead of behind it.  Sidney has been my photographer so far and she is very easy to work with :)




Channeling my inner masked bandit!!!!



3 comments:

  1. Looks promising! Now to see if I get it done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you have any trouble with anything!

      Delete
  2. Looks great! I will give it a try :) thank you so much for the tutorials, and the digiscrap freebies. Love both of them, thanks once again

    ReplyDelete