Newsletter Signup

Wednesday, 13 May 2015

Roller Skate Skirt and Swing Tank Top - Both from Scattered Thoughts of a Crafy Mom and both are free patterns :)


I can't believe it has been a year since I last posted something!!!  The past year has been busy and fun and sad and stressful.  We lost my brother in law very suddenly at the age of 45.  This has hit me hard.  I have known him since I was 16 or so and when the hubby and I first moved out we all shared an apartment.  I still find myself thinking of him everyday and I still feel a jolt every time I realize he is gone.

On a lighter note I have gotten back to sewing recently and have taught myself to crochet as well.  Yesterday I sewed up a new outfit for Allie and she wore it to school today.  I used two patterns from Jamie at Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom  .  I must say I love her patterns and will be sewing up as many more as I can manage to scrounge up fabric for.

So the two I sewed up are the Roller Skate Skirt and the Swing Tank Top.

First the details on the skirt.  I sewed up the size 10 with no modifications.  For the hem I used my favorite way to finish off a circle skirt.  I zig-zagged over the raw edge and then I sewed a line at the 3/8 mark.  Then I simply folded at the stitch line and pinned all the way around.  I sewed around the whole skirt keeping the edge even with my presser foot.  I have tried different ways to hem circle skirts and another one that works really well is to use a ribbon.  You can either sew it to the wrong side and then flip it to the right side and sew it down or sew it to the right side and flip it to the wrong side and sew it down.  One way gives you a really cute contrast border (if you choose a contrasting ribbon that is) and the other gives you a clean edge.  The way I used also gives you a nice clean edge with no little ripples.  I have found that I tend to get ripples in the hem if I try to double fold it on a curve.  All three of the fabrics on the skirt are thrifted.  The skirt panels started out life as twin size sheet and cost me $2 each at the local Salvation Army.  I have tons left to create more super awesome things!!!  The waist band is a t-shirt bought for 50 cents, again at the local Salvation Army.  I bought two and used the other one to create the matching top.

Second the top.  I love the detail of the curved "swing" hem on this tank.  It takes it from boring and plain to oh so cute.  Again I sewed up a size 10.  This time I used an old t-shirt that I bought for 50 cents at the thrift shop. I kept the existing neckline (yay!!! because they are the most challenging part of sewing a shirt).  To do this I cut the shirt apart along the side seams and cut off the sleeves.  I left the shoulder seams alone.  Then I spread the shirt out on my table and carefully folded it in half length wise.  I pinned the front and back pattern pieces on, being careful to pay attention to how the neckline was lining up, then I cut everything out.  It worked like a charm!!!  

To add the Cat applique (because Allie is Cat crazy even though we don't have a cat) I used some iron on fusible webbing and ironed it on, then sewed a zig-zag around the edges.  The applique is the part I am least proud of.  This was the first project sewn with my new (1960's) sewing machine.  I picked it up at the Salvation Army for $20 when I moved here.  Most of my belongings are in storage in my former home because the kids and I joined my hubby with limited items.  At first I was panicking that I couldn't fit my trusty sewing machine in the vehicle but I found my new beauty only a few days after we arrived.  She was waiting for me I think!!!  Anyhow, I did a horrible job on the stitching around the Cat but Allie doesn't even care :)  Bonus!!!

So without further ado here are some pics!!!  Sorry they are iPhone pics, my trusty Sony had decided to stop working boo hooo!

Look at my muscles Mom :) and she loved her Popsicle lol


The skirt really turned out awesome despite the fact that the stripes are running different ways on the panels.  It never even occurred to me that this would happen if I cut both panels at once from the sheet.  Live and learn I guess.


I did add some little flutter sleeves.  They are super easy to do.  Cut a strip about twice as long as you want it to end up and twice as wide.  Fold it in half lengthwise and iron it.  Cut curves on the raw edge and then run a gathering stitch on the raw edge.  Gather to the length you want and pin it to the edge of your sleeve.  Line up the raw edges (you want the folded edge of the ruffle pointing to the neckline).  Finish your sleeves as the pattern states from here (add the armhole binding) then when you are done flip your ruffle out away from the neckline and top stitch it down.


I love this sassy little gal!!!


Slightly closer look at the Cat applique.


And she is outta here!!  Back into the house to join her friend who was playing Minecraft on the Xbox.


I hope when she grows up she will remember our little photo sessions with happy feelings.  So far she seems to really love them and was bragging that her Mom takes pictures of her in every new outfit.  It made me smile :)

Have a super day and I  hope you have some time to do something you love doing soon.




3 comments:

  1. So cute Tracy! I'm glad the pattern worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment Jamie, it was very sweet of you!!!

      Delete
  2. Very cute Tracy! And it looks like Allie loves her new outfit too! Great job!! :)

    ReplyDelete